The very first cookie my Mom ever taught me to make, and trusted me to make on my own start to finish was No Bake Cookies. They were the perfect beginner cookie and they quickly became one of my favorite cookies. Between the oatmeal and the peanut butter and the chocolate, it's no wonder they go over so well every year at Christmas time. In fact, I have one Aunt who loves these cookies but swears hers never turn out as good as mine. So I make her a little goodie bag every Christmas and she quickly hides them so no one else can eat any of her cookies.
Through my decades of making No Bake Cookies, I think there are few keys in order to make the perfect cookie:
- Lay out all of your ingredients before you start making the cookies. This is a quick cookie and you need to work fast from cooking to putting them on a cookie tray. So the best way to do this is to have everything ready to go before you start.
- Boil the first part of the cookie mixture exactly 1 minute. If you boil the mixture too long your cookies will be too dry, and if you boil the mixture not long enough they won't set properly.
- Cool and store your cookies at room temperature. If you cool and store them in a refrigerator the cookies are prone to getting a sticky texture.
Classic No Bake Cookies
Combine in saucepan on medium heat:
1/4 cup Butter
1/2 cup Milk
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Baking Cocoa
Once the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil for 1 minute.
Take off the heat and add:
2/3 cup Peanut Butter, creamy
3 cups Oatmeal (I prefer Quick Oats or Old Fashioned)
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
With a cookie scoop, immediately lay the cookies on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper to set at room temperature. Cookies are ready to eat in 15 minutes. Yield 3 dozen.
Get your kids in the kitchen and let them try their hand at making these easy and delicious No Bake Cookies! What is your favorite cookie to bake with kids? Remember to Comment for a Cause and be sure to check out the rest of the Christmas Cookies being shared today as part of Christmas Cookies Week. Also, don't forget to sign-up for our great giveaways at the bottom of the post.
#ChristmasCookiesWeek Friday Recipes
- Chocolate-Dipped Almond Biscotti by House of Nash Eats
- Andes Mint Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Brownie Cookies by Books n' Cooks
- Bubble Light Sugar Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chocolate Cutout Sugar Cookies by Everyday Eileen
- Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Madeleines by Family Around The Table
- Christmas Ornament Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies by The Redhead Baker
- Classic No Bake Cookies by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Eggnog Snickerdoodle Cookies with Eggnog Glaze by Love and Confections
- Figgy Pudding Thumbprints by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Frosted Chocolate Cherry Almond Bars by YumGoggle
- Cream Cheese Buttons with a Dark Chocolate Drizzle by Kate's Recipe Box
- Gingerbread Cookie Stars by The Freshman Cook
- Holiday Lights Sugar Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Snowdrops by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Merry Moose Cookies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Not Your Grandma’s Sugar Cookies by Girl Abroad
- Ooey, Gooey Gingerbread Bars by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pecan Shortbread Trees by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Perfectly Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies by Tip Garden
- Peppermint Meltaway Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream Cookies by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Sour Cream Cut Out Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spiced Chocolate Cut Out Cookies with Marble Glaze by The Baking Fairy
- Sweet Potato Pie Cookies by Kelly Lynn's Sweets and Treats
- Whoville Christmas Wreath Sugar Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Learn about our Christmas Cookies Week Giveaway here.
Disclaimer: Thank you #ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The #ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected at random from entries received. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry.