|The initial reason why I joined 4-H...|
Today is the first day of National 4-H Week, an annual celebration that showcases the great things 4-H offers today's youth and highlights the amazing 4-H youth in the community. I loved driving to church this morning to see that one of the local 4-H clubs had decorated main-street windows, and hearing on the radio about a recruitment event happening this weekend. When I was in 4-H I loved promoting 4-H all year long, and always made a special effort during National 4-H Week. So as an alumni of 4-H, what can I do now? I've came up with a list of ideas for all 4-H alumni to do during National 4-H Week, as a way of giving back:
- Volunteer - This is the obvious one, get involved an volunteer with your local 4-H club or your local county program. I am personally my local county's Communications project leader and have chaperoned 4-H trips as a way of volunteering locally.
- Become a Judge - There is always a need for more judges. Contact your state 4-H office and find out the procedure and trainings available so you can judge at area county events and fairs and even at the State Fair. I have been judging for 10 years! And I am always so impressed with the presentations and projects I see every year.
- Share your 4-H Story through Social Media - I just shared a little bit about my 4-H story here on my blog, but it can be as easy as sharing a photo on Facebook or tweeting about 4-H. If you are an Iowa 4-H supporter, the Iowa 4-H Foundation has created a great graphic that you can share (located below this list of ideas) and save as your Facebook profile for the week. Also, be sure to follow your local 4-H organization through their various social media outlets - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Modify your Email Signature - To include a National 4-H Week message to the bottom of all your emails. It can be as simple as "Celebrate National 4-H Week October 5-11" and include a link to your local county or state 4-H program.
- Write a Letter to the Editor - And share your 4-H story and why 4-H is such a great youth organization. As an alumni, you can give a complementing view of 4-H to those youth members also contacting their local newspapers.
- Share your 4-H Story through your Workplace - Wear green this week, or ask to put up a 4-H flier or poster in your workplace's break-room to increase awareness about 4-H. If your workplace has a marquee or lighted sign, display a National 4-H Week message.
- and of course Donate!
And one easy way for you to donate is by commenting to this post. All month long, for every comment on my blog, I'll be donating $0.50 through my Comments for a Cause program to the Iowa 4-H Foundation. So share what 4-H club you were a member of, or how you are going to celebrate National 4-H Week, and make a donation through me!